Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Red Hues of Spring

Mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum)
 The canopy of the wood has a red blush of maple blossom and high up amongst the bare branches of the chestnut oak a pair of tiny birds is flitting and fluttering about. They are hard to identify as they are so small and move very fast - just two little olive-colored birds. When one of them raised its scarlet crest I knew at once they must be ruby-crowned kinglets! Now I listen out for their high-pitched whistles and warbles as I peruse the ground below for emerging plants. There is mayapple about to open its umbrella of leaves and, to match the hues of red above, wild columbine is just starting to flower.
Wild Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis)

1 comment:

  1. Sue,

    I'm so excited to hear about the little kinglets! When you described the little olive-colored birds, I was hoping that's what they'd be!

    Love your picture of the wild columbine. I've tried a few times to grow it, but no luck so far.

    The hummingbird plant you gave me from your garden on Garland Road has come back. I'm so happy it seems to be adjusting to my garden.

    ReplyDelete